Home           About            Issues            Blog           Press           Newsletter           Contact          

Word of the Week: eschew

eschew
verb
Dictionary: avoid, abstain from, stay away from, stay clear of, shun.

And now my kids use it in a sentence:

6 year old son: "I eschew ghosts. And strangers."

3 year old daughter: "I eschew stickers* because they hurt me, and monsters."

*Stickers used here doesn’t mean “adhesive labels” but rather something found outdoors...tiny round things with sharp spikes all around them that attach to your clothing when you’re walking in the country. They hurt.

And now for my favorite use of the word "eschew". I think my all-time favorite bumper sticker was one I saw many years ago. It simply read: Eschew Obfuscation. I thought that was pretty clever and humorous.